Photo by supersizer via iStock
No more boring weekends! There are plenty of fun and easy DIY projects that take up little time.
So if you’re looking for some inspiration, here are five easy DIY projects to try on the weekend that will help you make your house feel more like home. Some are as easy to make as DIY home decor wall art. Others may take a little more effort. But the entire family can do them together!
Table of Contents
- Easy DIY Projects: Upgrade Your Doors
- Frame Your TV
- Easy DIY Projects: Build a Basic Bench
- Paint Floor Tiles
- Easy DIY Projects: Set Up a Home Coffee Station
- De-Stress With DIY Projects
Easy DIY Projects: Upgrade Your Doors
Photo by milan2099 via iStock
Let’s start with the easiest on the list.
When was the last time you thought about updating your doors? People usually only think about upgrading their doors when something goes wrong, which is a shame! They are one of the first things you see when you walk into a home, so they should be up-to-date and welcoming.
Here are a few simple ideas to stylize your door:
Paint your doors: Start cleaning off any dirt or dust from the door’s surface. Then use a brush to apply two coats of paint. Let dry for 24 hours before applying another coat.
Once the second coat has dried, tape over the entire door frame using painter’s tape. When finished, remove the tape and let the door dry completely.
Add new hardware: If you have old hardware, consider replacing it. It’s as simple as removing the old screws, replacing them with new ones, and adding a few finishing touches like knobs or handles.
For example, we are currently loving this tulip knob. The sleek design gives an elegant touch to our entryway.
Frame Your TV
The cool thing about DIYing is that you don’t need a specific reason. You’re free to make whatever tickles your fancy. There are countless options for decorating your space, from light fixtures to extra storage.
For example, framing your TV may seem “extra” for some people, but you can’t deny it makes your TV (and the entire room) look STUNNING. You can even disguise your TV as part of your gallery wall.
If you have yet to think of making your TV a room’s focal point, the video tutorial above by Marcus Anthony may change your mind. The frame matches the wood of the dresser and nightstands. Plus, it makes for a great pop of color.
Looking for more brilliant ideas that won’t break the bank? Check out our Expensive-Looking Home DIY Ideas for Less Than $100.
Easy DIY Projects: Build a Basic Bench
Photo by Kateryna Kukota via iStock
The Rehab Life is always full of tricks and tips for simple DIY projects. One that you can easily do during the weekend or any day is their $15 Fifteen Minute Bench.
This tutorial is especially great for beginners who want to learn how to build a bench without spending too much money.
By the time you finish this project, we bet you can’t wait to make bigger and fancier benches!
Paint Floor Tiles
Photo by Pedro Blanco Gutierrez via iStock
Another stylish way to update your space is by decorating your floor. Painting it will add a unique look to your space, especially if you design the pattern. Even a basic design can look pretty with a fun color scheme.
What you’ll need:
- Basic tools for cleaning
- Mask, gloves, and other protective items
- Tools to cover the other areas (masking tape, etc.)
- Sandpaper or handheld orbital sander
- Brush and roller
- Primer and epoxy floor paint (it’ll last longer than water-based paint)
How to paint a tile floor:
- First, clean the area where you’d like to paint. Make sure there’s no grout between the tile and the subfloor. Use a sponge to wet the whole area.
- Next, use a scrubbing pad to remove debris left behind after cleaning. Remove any loose material such as paper towels, rags, etc.
- Next, sand the floor. That helps eliminate any grease or other substances clinging to the tile that a mop couldn’t reach.
- Once you’re done, it’s time to clean again! Look for any dirt that may still be hiding in the cracks. Using a damp rag, wipe away any remaining dirt.
- Choose the correct primer. Apply primer to the entire floor, starting with the area furthest from the door. Apply a second primer coat once the first one has dried.
- Now comes the fun part – painting! If you want a more intricate design pattern, ensure you have the skill to make it. Otherwise, a simple ombre tile design will do.
Don’t stop there! If you paint your kitchen tiles, why not paint the cabinets too? Check out our tutorial here.
Easy DIY Projects: Set Up a Home Coffee Station
Photo by mixetto via iStock
Admit it. You’ve been thinking about making your own coffee station for a long time. So stop saving pictures on Pinterest and let’s get to it! Here are some tips to help you set it up:
- Choosing a theme can help you envision the entire space. Do you go for industrial chic, ultra-modern, or comfy country?
- Decide where you want the area to be. If you don’t have a big space, see if there is an unused corner you can take advantage of.
- When it comes to accessories, don’t buy them; make them! From simple shelves to coffee trays, you can build them yourself.
- Consider adding an unexpected touch, such as a chalkboard wall. Then, when you’re hosting, your guest can write their order.
With your own coffee station, enjoying a cup of coffee becomes a soothing pleasure rather than a basic morning routine.
De-stress With DIY Projects
Doing something fun and creative on the weekend can really help you de-stress. It’s also beneficial for the whole family. Why not turn it into a family bonding routine?
There are tons of ways to use old stuff and repurpose items into new and interesting creations. Plus, you never know when you might find a project that will inspire you to create something even better next week. Have fun!